Friday 10 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 8

Episode 8

Michael shut his eyes tight when he knew it was her. “Oh no!” He said and rubbed his temple, she was not supposed to hear all that, not her of all people.
“Don’t get upset about the fact that I heard everything, I should have cautioned you but then you would not have listened. Let’s forget I heard anything. I was just calling to know if you are enjoying your day, I have been too busy to call all day till now and I guess I called at the wrong time.” She said.
“Oh no!!! it’s fine, I appreciate your call, I really do. You always know when to call, I was getting really angry but I guess I am fine now that I have heard your voice.” He joked though he was still angry, he was truly glad she called, Leah would not have taken those words easily and it would have been too late to revoke them.
“Okay! I am glad to hear that because I dread to see you when you are angry, and if I must add, am glad Leah did not have to hear all that. It would have broken her, maybe she really had a lot on her mind and..”
“Rachael please can you stop making excuses for her because I am not buying it. I wonder if I have not made a mistake.” He blurted out.
“What mistake?”
“HUH! Forget I said anything. I am just stressed. Would you come over to the house later this evening, she said she would be coming too, you can come with Esther and other friends if they are free. I really don’t want to be alone with her, I don’t trust myself to have a civil conversation with her and she is not feeling so fine, I will not want to compound that for her.”
“Okay, if that makes you happy, I will see if Esther is free and we will come and have a nice time. Be happy joo, it’s your day. I would sing your birthday song for you this evening.” She said and knew he would be glad to hear it.
“Wow! Now that will really make me happy, your voice has a therapeutic effect and I think I need therapy.” He joked and she laughed.
“Now that’s the Michael I remember. Hey! You owe me recharge card, MTN is warning me already. Happy birthday again, bye.”
“HAHAHA! Bye dear.” He said before the phone went dead at the other end.
He smiled and actually felt himself relax. Rachael is really an angel, I know I have chosen wrongly but I really don’t want to lose her friendship even though I know I might have to choose one at the long run. He pushed the thought aside and decided he would take it a day at a time starting from this evening. He would not allow Leah ruin his evening. At least he will have some other friends around so it won’t be awkward. He decided to complete a task before leaving the office with the many presents he got from colleagues. Leah was really not an excuse, he has been having a nice day and he will not let her ruin it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
5: 45pm.
Michael checked the time for the umpteenth time waiting for Leah to come, he even sneaked to try her line after so many failed trials. He tried to enjoy the moments, these were the friends he had always had and they were still supportive. He was now more embarrassed when some started to leave and asked him to say hello to Leah if she eventually comes, he had to say he believes the headache must have gotten really serious and he apologized on her behalf.
Rachael did not know what to do to make him feel better and they were about taking their leave though Esther suggested she stay back a bit to cheer him up but she agreed against it. It would have been very normal when she was not aware of her feelings for him which she was fighting to keep in check, she could not even fully admit it to herself but seeing how he was hurt over Leah’s absence was hurting her too. She wish she had done better, maybe her being too calm assuming nothing can separate them had cost her this. She wish to God that she had taken him seriously when he insinuated that would it not be nice for them to be a real couple just like everyone was assuming but she laughed it off and asked him to get himself a wife. She said it casually but then he took her seriously, now she will have to bear the thought of losing him to her foolishness.
“Honestly, I have to go now babes. Birthday boy…oops! Birthday pastor, man, whatever, may you celebrate many more years in Jesus name.” Esther said hugging him.
“Amen! Thanks for making out time to come.” He said. Rachael picked her bag from the chair and hung it on her shoulder.
“Don’t tell me you are leaving too?” Michael asked with horror and Rachael looked at him confused.
“Luke is leaving, well pastor just called him and so he has to leave, Esther too and now you want to leave, common! You know I can’t clean up all these mess alone. Esther beg your friend now?” He made a sorry puppy face and yes he won.
“Rachael, Since you are the best female friend and the only free one, you should stay back and cheer him up. If Leah was not so sick to miss this, you would have been free but since she is not here please help the brother.” Luke teased and gave her a quick hug, so did Esther.
“I will call you when I get home.” Esther said hurrying to meet Luke outside so he could drop her where she can get a straight cab home while he finds his way.
“So you now have alibis right? What if I had something to catch up with?” She asked dropping her hand bag.
“Well I won’t let you run off like that and hey! That’s how we do it remember?”
“Well, all our traditions can’t remain as it used to be, a lot has changed. I am worried about Leah, you should call to see how she is faring. Maybe she might really need medical attention; I could even check her up on my way home and… Rachael, please don’t ruin this beautiful evening. I know Leah is okay, she just wants to hurt me and I won’t let her.” He said shutting her up.
Rachael swallowed and turned away in embarrassment, her heart was not as strong as many assume, she could feel the butterflies in her tummy and she needed a distraction.
“I think we should get to work so I can go home.” She said bending to pick the tray that had empty tumblers that needed washing to the kitchen. She needed to be out of the house as fast as she could, not because she did not trust him but she did not trust herself not to melt and confess her love for him.
They worked in silence. She was doing the dishes while he swept the living room. He was taken aback when he heard her humming melodiously, he was drawn to watch her and for the life of him she looked so perfect washing those dishes in his kitchen, why had he not insisted, why had he not pressed until she believed he really loved her but then he got carried away and now see the mess he is in.
“Michael can you help me with…”She started to say in a loud voice only to realize he was standing by the door lost in thought though his eyes were on her.
“Are you not supposed to be cleaning and how come you are standing there with your legs crossed leaning on the stick, don’t you think I am gonna do that too.” She said.
“Well how can a man concentrate on his work when a beautiful woman is singing melodiously in his kitchen.” He said walking towards her.
“I knew staying back was a mistake. Michael since when has my voice had that kind of effect on you, stop kidding around please.” She said trying to break the tension that was building.
“Your voice has affected me since forever. Rachael I was not joking when I told you we should be a couple, I know it came out as a joke then but thinking about it now makes perfect sense.”
“Michael, get a hold of yourself, we are not a couple okay? Don’t start thinking this way because you and Leah are having a misunderstanding. I guess you both will be fine together, let’s just leave things as they are please.” She said and her lips trembled and a tear dropped. It was too late to cry over spilled milk. She would be the one to lose, he loves Leah and they will reconcile their differences and where would that leave her.
She quickly turned her back to him and faced the zinc as she wiped away the tear with the back of her hand.
She heard the mop stick fall and she knew he was coming to her.
“Michael please don’t …I – I will be fine.” But he did try to comfort her and that was the beginning of the night she would never forget in her life...

QUESTION
CAN A MAN PUT FIRE IN HIS BOSOM AND NOT BE CONSUMED?

Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment