Friday 24 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 19

Episode 19
“Rachael open your eyes, I am sorry… Rachael please I love you, don’t do this to me. Rachael!!!” He shook her but there was no response. He carried her and rushed to his car calling his neighbor’s attention, the blood kept flowing all the way to the hospital, she was already looking pale. He cried begging her to come back to him, her breathing became irregular. He prayed, begged and shouted for his neighbor to drive faster.
“Oh Lord please save my wife and baby, please Lord.” He cried and finally they were at the hospital, she was immediately rushed to the theatre while he put a call through to her parent and his pastor.
While he stood waiting for the doctor to come out, he paced looking at the entrance to see if anyone was coming out.
“Michael what have you done to my daughter?” Her mum said and grasped his blood stained shirt.
“I swear to you if I lose my daughter you will see the other side of me, you will know that I…Shut up woman, I am not going to lose my daughter.” Her husband said firmly and pulled her away from Michael.
“I am sorry, I am so sorry. I love my wife, God please I beg you save her and my baby.” He cried as fresh tears rushed down his cheeks. He was not going to pretend to be strong because he really was not feeling strong, he feels like his life is crumbling. He did not know what he would do if she does not make it. He did not know where he will start. He regrets not reciprocating her love early enough even when he knew he loved her.
He sat on the floor and buried his head in his palm as he cried when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He raised his head and saw that it was his father in-law. He wiped his tears with the back of his hand and stood up.
“It’s okay son.” He said.
“No sir, it’s not okay, I was a reckless husband, I should have paid more attention to her, I should have cared for her but I was too foolish and stubborn.” He cried.
“Hmm! I can’t say I am happy with all that’s been happening but I know, God has better plans for my child, I believed you will be good for her despite the circumstances surrounding your marriage, I hope I was not wrong, I hope I will not regret giving her to you. I just hope so.” He said sitting down slowly.
“Lord please help me.” He said too ashamed to face the elderly man.
“Where is the husband to…I am here doctor, how is my wife and baby?” He asked jumping to his feet.
“Yes doctor, how is my daughter, where is she? When can I see her?” Her mum asked.
“Doctor talk to me, I am her father, hope my daughter is okay? And her baby?” Her dad added.
“Can we just calm down first? Well the evacuation was successful and she just needs to rest, if she had not been brought here on time, we will not be saying this story now, the foetus had started to rot, I believe she has been having pains, well just let’s thank God she is alive and well.” He explained and her parent exchanged a knowing look.
“Evacuation?” They said in unison.
“Jesus! I am finished, I lost my baby.” He cried bitterly with a lot running through his mind, he did not know what the days ahead holds, that baby was the reason they married, the reason they tolerated each other, that baby was their life line, their marriage held no substance without the baby. He used to emphasize so much on the baby that his wife felt humiliated thinking he does not care about her but she was wrong, he did care, more than she will imagine and it’s time to proof it.
“ Mr. Michael, your wife seems to be going through a lot of emotional issues, you need to show her all the love and care you can give, she needs it now more than before, women that goes through this if not properly taken care of develop some psychological issues. Please go home and rest because she is still too weak to see anybody.” He said and excused himself.
Michael staggered and held the wall for support. “But Lord I said I was sorry now. Why do I have to lose my child now huh! Why?” He cried hitting the wall.
“Thank you Lord, my daughter is alive. Michael you should thank your God that my daughter is alive, it’s so sad that the baby did not make it, of course if I were him, I would not want to come into a troublesome family. Michael I would not mind taking my daughter home and take care of her if you know you cannot do so.” Her mum said angrily.
“Mummy, please, no, don’t take my wife from me, I can’t bear to part with her. I know I have not been the best husband to her but I promise to change for good, I will do all I can to make her comfortable, don’t just take her from me please, she’s my wife and I love her even though I had strange ways of showing it but please don’t….Nobody is taking her from you, so stop crying and be a man.” His father in-law said.   
Lesson
You may not know the value of what you have till you lose it.
Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment