Sunday 12 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 10

EPISODE 10.
Rachael put a call through to him to tell him where to meet her, she will not be stepping foot in his house alone, not in this life. He was about to give an excuse when she shouted at him and the excuse died on his tongue.
She was glad her mum was not home so she would not notice her swollen face after crying so hard. She had lied she had cold and thank God it was January and the weather was cold. That too was an excuse not to sing in church, she felt like God would send an angel to push her out of his altar due to her filth. The best she did was to back up the singers, she had actually begged to be left alone saying she feels she has lost touch and needs to find herself again which was not a lie. She wore her dark shades with a simple long gown and a jacket to cover up for what the gown cannot hide.
“Rachael have you been crying?” Michael asked concerned.
“You know what! Keep your sympathies because you will need to comfort yourself soon.” She said annoyed.
“What is that supposed to mean?”
“Michael I think we are in hot soup, if you had let me confess this thing since, maybe my mum would have done something, but all I did was hide in my room and cry so Michael congratulations, you will soon be a baby daddy.” She said as hot, angry tears ran down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away.
“You are joking right?” He asked stammering, sweat beads formed on his fore head almost immediately. He grasped her hand.
“Rachael, please stop messing with me here. It was just once, no half, Jesus! How did, are you sure there was no one else?”
That statement earned him a slap. “Michael you are very stupid, how could you say that to my face, you were my first…Jesus! I am out of here okay and I am not keeping this a secret and yes I have thought about the consequences but unlike you, I will rather please God than man. I will face the shame so don’t think you can talk me into getting rid of the baby, even though I hate the fact that I am carrying it now.” She said and turned to leave but he pulled her back.
“Michael please let go of my hand this minute before I scream for help.” He did as she asked.
“Rachael be reasonable, my ordination is next two month and Leah is…Rachael please let’s sit and discuss this thing.” He said desperately.
“Michael, don’t worry, I will take responsibility for my child. Go on with your life, but as the Lord lives, at least one other person will be aware. I am sorry it has to be this way. I guess that’s what we get for not fleeing fornication.” She said and walked away briskly before he could get hold of her.
Rachael’s courage almost failed her, she knew this will cause a big scandal but she also knew the earlier she tells the truth, the better for everybody. She just wanted to be able to have a good night sleep without being afraid of being discovered. She will also beg Leah’s forgiveness and assure her that she can take care of herself, nothing should stop their wedding. She will have to see Leah first and explain to her, and then she will proceed to tell her parent. Whatever happens after that will have to be tolerated.
Leah was about to open her door when she heard her name, it was a confused looking Rachael. She noticed a lot has changed with Rachael, she was not her cheerful self and she seem to be keeping more to herself.
“Rachael what are you doing here?” Leah asked.
“Actually I…Em I…maybe I should just go now.” She said turning away but Leah outsmarted her.
“No!!! You look like you are going to faint any moment from now, maybe you should sit down first. Leah opened her door hurriedly and led her in.
“Thank you very much, you would not be so nice if you know what I have done to you. I hope you can forgive me.” Rachael cried.
“Hey! Common, what is there not to forgive, we all need forgiveness so what’s the grave sin you think you have committed?” Leah asked trying to make her comfortable enough to open up.
“About three months ago, on Michael’s birthday to be précised, we all expected you to show up and you did not, it really hurt him a lot. It was time to leave but then they all prevailed on me to stay and help him clean up as usual but then staying back was the greatest mistake of my life.” She sniffed.
“Okay? What happened?” Leah asked even though her mind just told her Nemesis has caught up with her. Her palms felt clammy and she rubbed them slightly on her lap as she waited for the bombshell to hit her.
“Leah I am so sorry, I was too late and this afternoon i… I confirmed for real that I am preg…nant for him, you should feel free to call me names, hit me, do whatever you want but I just can’t keep this to myself anymore.” She went on her knees.
“Leah! Please don’t call off your engagement with Michael, it’s obvious he loves you. That night was a mistake that will never repeat itself again. The child will not be your responsibility but mine. Please forgive me for trespassing. I beg you.” She cried bowing her face to the ground as her body shook violently.
Leah’s heart tore in a million pieces, she knew she had no right whatsoever to judge this precious and innocent lady. Rachael just did what she could never do, she remembered her first pregnancy, it wrecked her to the core but then she allowed herself to be talked into getting rid of the baby so they can save face and then it became a norm but then Rachael thought she made a mistake but this is the devil punishing me for living with this secret, and yeah it’s hard to admit but Rachael just saved Michael from her claws, she is giving Michael what she might never have. This wedding might not be a reality anymore, so maybe it’s time to give up.
“Rachael get up.” She said shedding tears of her own.
“What!” Rachael said in amazement, she had blocked her  face for a slap or something but it’s a relief that she won’t be the one receiving the slap today.
“I said get up.” She commanded and Rachael scurried to her feet.
“How come it’s you that is telling me this not him and would I have known if there was no pregnancy huh! I bet he asked you not to tell anybody and oh yes! We ladies are always so foolish to listen to men’s gibberish. Michael does not deserve to be ordained as a pastor. If he thinks he can get away with it, he won’t. this matter is going to church and Rachael don’t even dare stop me.”
Rachael caught her arm and pleaded with her but Leah was too angry to listen. Michael chose to call at that time trying to act all cool but not knowing Rachael had just burst his bubble.
“Hey sweetheart how are you doing?”
“Michael don’t you ever call me that, well I am going to report you to pastor first thing tomorrow morning, Rachael is not going to go through this hell alone. You heartless and selfish man. How could you do this to me?” She cried and Michael began to stammer.
“Leah! Please don’t be rash, let’s discuss it first, let’s not…”
“There is nothing to discuss. I guess you made your choice. Have a nice evening.”
“Rachael you need to start going home now. I need to think and you should not hide this from your parent because they might be summoned when I must have succeeded in making Michael confess.” She said without emotion.
“Leah, maybe we should not rush this thing, I know you are angry but I don’t want my parent hearing from someone else, please let me deal with this myself please.” Rachael begged.
“Rachael, this concerns me too. It’s my fiancé we are talking about here and so this makes it my problem. This might change everything you know?” her lips started quivering. She covered her mouth with her hands.
“Rachael please just go.” She said trying to control herself but she was too hurt to pretend. She watched Rachael shut the door before she crumbled on the floor and wept bitterly. She knew she was being a hypocrite for insisting they go to the church straight. She did not do that when it was her turn but she wish she did, a sin only grows bigger when it’s covered. Maybe Kunle would have been forced to marry her earlier than thought but at least she will not be so ruined today. Now she will have to give up all hope of settling down until she is ready to come out straight and confess her sins and that won’t be happening anytime soon.
QUESTION
Do you think the decision to keep an unplanned baby is right especially when a lot of people will be affected by that singular act.
LESSON
The strength of sin is in darkness, when it is revealed, its sting begins to heal. Do not hold on to that secret, get a trusted person to talk to aside confessing it to God. It gives you accountability especially when it involves sexual sin.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog, I bet you are enjoying yourself, spread the word. Thanks.
Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment