Tuesday 21 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 17

EPISODE 17

Michael dumped the napkin in his hand in anger, he manages to ruin things just when there is an opportunity, he needed or wanted her to rest but that line keeps popping up and it makes it seem as if he does not care about her but he realized he really cared, more than he was ready to admit and more than she would believe.
He took the tray of food to her room, she just said thank you and turned her face away, she was obviously crying but he did not think she will want him to console her, so he left the room and the food he ate tasted like gravel in his mouth but he forced himself so he would not wake up in the middle of the night hungry.
This madness has got to stop. He resolved in his mind and he fell into a fitful sleep.

Rachael watched her husband congratulate his colleagues after they had been ordained on Sunday, he graduated from the school of ministry as one of the students but then that was not the intention, he wanted to serve in the capacity of an ordained minister but one night’s foolishness ruined it. He was a master at hiding his feelings but she could see through him and know he was sad but he really was handling it better than she imagined.
God does not need us piling up titles and not walk in the fullness of what we are called. Lord you know how much he loves and want to serve you, I know it’s just a phase but it’s tough, too much than we can bite. Please let everything be alright again.
They had maintained a meditative silence as they drove home. He was lost in thought and so was she, she wish she had the right words to say but nothing feels right.
“Michael I am sorry about today, I wish things happened diff…Please don’t, I am fine okay?  Don’t start claiming to be the cause of today’s event, we can’t change what happened and I really hate to think about it so please let’s forget about it and move forward, that’s the only way I can stay sane.” He said with a deep frown on his face.
“Okay, I was not sure how you were feeling but I am glad you are handling it well.”
“Rachael, don’t bother about me, I am okay and I have been taking care of myself for a long while now so please worry not.” He said.
She was not sure how to respond to that statement. She shifted in her seat, the seat belt was making her uncomfortable, her hand kept adjusting and readjusting it.
“I noticed Leah has not been coming to church well and the last time I saw her she looked really lean, I keep feeling bad about her, contrary to what you think, I worry a lot about you and I can’t help thinking Leah would have made you happy since you seem not to like whatever it is I do,” She said with no regrets.
“Rachael please can we just go home in peace, I am tired and I need to think.”
“Tired people rest not think.” She countered.
“Well I need to do both and please don’t talk to me about Leah being a better option. You are my wife period.” He said with gritted teeth. He did not want to shout at her but she was getting on his nerves by asking and saying things he really could not change or do anything about. He was going to do his best to move forward and stop dwelling on the past.
Rachael turned her face away as tears threatened to fall. She did not know when she became a wimp but she cried over silly things even when she does her best to be strong.
“Hey come on, I am sorry, I did not mean to demean your feelings but I really am tired of thinking and dwelling in the past. God has forgiven me and I want to progress” He said hoping that will ease the tension between them.
“Okay.”
“Okay? Is that all you have to say?” He asked.
She turned to face him. "I really don’t have anything else to say. I understand you and I think you are right. We should think of how to move forward.” She said just so they drop the talk.
Rachael winced and groaned as she swallowed the pain that hit her. They got home and gathered her energy, he opened the door, packed his things from the car and started to go in as usual when he realized she was not coming out.
“Why are you not coming out?” He asked looking back and retraced his steps back to the car when he saw her squeezing her face in pain.
“Jesus! Rachael, are you okay?” He asked dropping the things in his hand.
“What do you need me to do?” He asked as sweat beads formed on his brows.
“Nothing, I …I just, ah…my stomach.” She said holding her belle.
“Rachael you are getting me scared now.”
“Hmm!!! Please just help me get into the house.”  She said gripping his hand for support.
“I think we should go to the hospital first.”
“Doctors are on strike.” She managed to say.
“Should I call your mum?” He asked.
“Michael get me inside first.” She said firmly.
“Okay, sure.” He wanted to carry her but she insisted that she would walk, she did not want to give neighbours any new gossip about her.
Rachael feared something was not right, was pregnancy that difficult, the last scan showed that all was well but then all does not seem well lately  but she did not want to get him worried with all that he has going on. She was glad he seem to be genuinely concerned about her but then he must also be doing it just for his baby and that sunk her heart the more. She needed to be loved and to know she is not alone on this but theirs was not like every other couple, the circumstances surrounding their marriage were not normal and so there will be a lot more effort to make things right.
She had been trying to act right but when someone is pregnant, sometimes you just feel like being naughty and for her she has no one to be naughty with not when she was trying to get on his good page and it appears she was achieving her aim.
                                                 ***
Leah made a trip home after so long, she decided home was better anyway, she felt she needed to cool off. Seeing Michael and Rachael acting the lovy dovy couple made her start regretting why she gave up so easily, that should have been her but on the contrary, Rachael had what she could never give him. She dreaded meeting Kunle, though she knew he was as miserable as she was. She asked her mum to keep her coming quiet because she did not plan to stay for long.
The journey felt much tiring, she did not think she could be so tired but she really was.
“My daughter is back o.” Her mum screamed as she entered the house.
“Mummy!!!” She said pleased to see her mum who worries so much about her, she felt sad because she was not the precious girl that used to make them happy, she was just chaff now and she did not know where and how her life was going now.
“Mummy I missed you so much.” She cried as she hugged her fiercely with all the strength she had.
It was a sweet re-union but she knew the sweetness would not last when they start to discuss, she needed to reduce the load on her shoulders.
“Do you know that Kunle disappointed me?” Her mum started as she tried to settle in.
“what did he do again, mummy I have told you to forget about him, I don’t like the way he keeps bugging you about me again and…this is not about you my dear.” Her mum said impatiently.
“Then what business do I have with it.” She asked.
“Well, he got a girl pregnant.”
“WH-WHAT!!!”
“Yes o. He got her pregnant, you know Surat in the choir, the one staying with em…Yes, I know her. You mean Kunle brought himself so low to get a house help pregnant, that girl has not even finished her secondary school.” She said in horror.
“I was equally shocked; I did not expect that a vibrant brother like him would commit fornication. May the Lord have mercy on his church, the end time is really here. The church has suspended him and well the girl is still young and her guardians have returned her to her parents, that girl had become so rude and very naughty, we all thought that her aunty was being too harsh until she said Kunle gave her money to abort and the girl was afraid and so she mentioned it to her friend who told her guardian and that was how the secret leaked, after much beatings.” He mum explained elaborately.
“Hey! Jesus save me.” She said putting both hands on her head.
“My dear, your father has warned him to stay away, the fact that your wedding could not work the first time does not mean you are done for, I believe any man that knows your worth will find you and stay.” Her mum said wiping away tears as she spoke.
“No mummy, that man will be really unlucky.” She cried.
“No my child, I always brag about how faithful and good you are, we need serious and devoted ladies like you to help build younger youths. You have kept yourself and did not do what the children of the world find pleasure in and you…Mummy please stop!!!” She said blocking her ears.
“Leah what is it?”
“Mum I think I need to sleep. I feel sick.” She said lying on the chair.
“Enter the bedroom and sleep now, I am sorry I did not allow you to rest, we will discuss it later.”
“Yes ma, later… like never.” She completed in her mind though she knew that was not possible.
Her head was aching badly as she wondered how many ladies had suffered in his hand, he must be possessed and well she wish he rots in hell.
“Leah Kunle asks to see you, I didn’t mean to disturb your sleep but he has refused to leave and… Kunle is here?” She asked shaken.
Leah was glad her mother had the sense to excuse them.
“Leah! Oh my God I have missed you.” He said confidently knowing they were alone, he stood up and walked towards her but what he got was not expected. She gave him a resounding slap on his cheek.
“Jesus!” His hand went to his face and when he tried to talk she gave him another slap.
“Kunle, my God will punish you. How long do you think you will last, how many girls have you used so far huh!”
“Leah was that why you slapped me?” He asked foolishly.
“You are mad for asking such dumb question, you deserve to die, the world does not need your kind in it. You go about ruining innocent lives and you think you will have peace huh?” She asked as hot tears ran down her cheeks not because she was a victim too but because she had fallen so deep and had carried the burden for so long. She had premeditated the slaps she gave him, he deserves more but she felt the slaps will serve a bit and hope someone else does the killing.
“Leah it’s not that those girls were innocent, you needed to see how indecently they dress to church and… Jesus Kunle, you need deliverance.” She said hitting him with a pillow.
“You were meant to correct them not take advantage of them, you teach the word of God but I see no evidence in you and… Well that makes both of us.” He answered harshly.
“What do you mean by that?” Her mother asked when she could not hide herself behind the curtain eavesdropping on them.
“ Mummy, nothing, he was on his way self.” Leah stammered and tried to hide her face but the horror of her mother's face showed that the woman had caught on with their gist. Yes she was soiled, she had been used, ducked and dumped and she was empty and it's all because she was too afraid to disappoint her parents, they trusted her too much now she wondered where she will hide her face.

LESSON
Does who live in glass houses down not throw stones: Parents don't be quick to cast people's children, yours might be lost under your very nose.

Never make excuses for your weaknesses, admit it, repent and move on.

Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment