Sunday 5 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 4

EPISODE 4
Rachael banged the door angrily as she entered the house, she removed her shoes and was walking barefooted to her room when her father called her.
“Rachael, is everything okay?” He asked though he knew the answer.
“Daddy you know what? I am tired and frustrated, why can’t I get a job for Christ sake. I am doing and I have done all I need to do but it’s just so frustrating that the system is corrupt, can you imagine what that stupid man was telling me to… Hey! Young lady mind your language.” Her dad cautioned.
“Am sorry but that man needs to be thrown into the lagoon, daddy you know I am qualified for this job, I am good, I deserve it, I have gone through all the stages of the interview and I have done excellently but now I am back to zero point feeling like a slime with no self worth and no job.”
“Hey! What has gotten into you, you are not my daughter, since when do you allow situations dictate your attitude. I will not listen to you if you refuse to be civilized okay?” He scolded.
“But daddy…” tears ran down her cheeks and that melted his heart.
“Now come to me, come and tell daddy about that man that has got you so angry.” He said opening his arms and she dropped the shoes on the floor with her bag and walked towards him. She needed that hug urgently even though she knew it will undo the fountain in her heart.
“You know doing the right thing is hard right? Can you imagine that he gave the job to the other lady simply because I refused to agree to his terms but daddy I was qualified for it…I was.” She cried and her dad patted her back soothingly till she cried her fill.
“You know that life is not always as we want it to be. God has a plan, I believe you have a bright future ahead of you, look at you, you are my one and only beautiful, intelligent, strong, smart and highly talented daughter with the voice of an angel. God has blessed you so much my dear, don’t let the stupidity of men stop you from counting your blessing. While you wait for that job, do what makes you happy after all I am not complaining, I have enough to feed you and other large families put together. Since you insist you need to do this yourself, I will let you but I don’t enjoy seeing you hurt.” He said still holding her to him.
“Thank you daddy for reminding me of who I am, it’s always easy to forget when things are tough and you and mum have given me everything and more, I don’t lack nothing and you hardly deprive me of my right and so it’s a new feeling to me, I really need to try to cope by myself like my age mates do.” She said.
“I guess I and your mother over indulged you but then you still turned out to be a loving lady who loves God. That’s our only joy. We are so proud of you. Do you know how I feel whenever you climb that pulpit to minister? I thank God for giving me a one in a million child, I could not get more than one but then that one is worth more than ten children. I love you and I want you to be happy, now promise me you will be happy.” He said smiling at her.
“Thank you daddy. I love you too and yes! I will be happy even though I wish that man can be sacked, the world don’t need such exploiters, I wonder how many ladies he has messed up that way. It’s so unfair.” She pouted angrily as she got up.
“Life is unfair my child but there is always an end for the wicked. Now go and freshen up before your mum comes back.”
“Okay daddy” She walked slowly to her room but not as distraught as she was when she just arrived. She would shower and sleep away her annoyance, she was strong and would be fine.
She wished to God that she had her friend. If all things were equal, Michael would have been here in a heartbeat but nothing seems equal now and she doubts if it will ever be. She dashed into her room as fresh tears ran down her cheeks, not because she lost the job but she knew she has lost her friend and confidant and there is nothing to be done to redeem the situation. Would things have been different if I had not called off his bluff when he said he wanted to date me?
She gave a frustrated cry when she heard her father’s footsteps.
“Daddy I am okay, don’t bother coming down please.” She said rushing into the bathroom whether a cool shower will wipe away her problems…Michael where are you? She cried in her heart as the water blended with her tears.

QUESTION
What are the roles parent’s play in building their children’s self-esteem?

We have come to the end of this episode, please watch out for the next episode tomorrow, we are still just at the beginning. Thanks for visiting this site.
Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment