Wednesday 15 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 14

EPISODE 14
March 17.
1:07am.
Rachael stared blankly at the wall clock as it clicked. She could not belief she was sleeping in a separate room cuddling a pillow on her wedding night. She knew Michael thought he was doing her a favor by listening to her plea for wanting to be alone, he had made arrangement and alterations in the room that she could not fault. He knew what she likes and he really has gone out of the way to make her comfortable.
She turned from side to side wondering if this is all they will be, flat mates. She did not know if he was just trying to hide his grieve but he looked like he was enjoying himself, it was pure torture for her though, him acting all loving and sweet, smiling at her and fondling with her hand as if they were normal couples. He even stole a kiss or two and people felt it was cute but it was really embarrassing.
Despite what she thought, what was supposed to be a small in house wedding was graced by many and she did get gifts too. Her mum wept a lot as it became time to go and so did she. It was her dad that insisted that Michael takes her home so the mum would stop. They were in the same town but it felt like she was leaving to a place so far from home.
Michael had comforted her on their way home, being in his arms did not feel so gross, actually she never wanted the ride home to end and to confirm it, immediately Luke who served as their driver left, he ushered her into her room saying she can change her clothes and rest. She wanted to call him back but her ego would not let her do that.
She did not know why she was feeling lonely, she did not feel like sleeping, she wanted to be held like a bride, she wanted to be cuddled and petted, she wanted to feel the warmth and security a husband can give but of course she was not going to get any of that. She scattered her hair thinking of what to do to distract her raging mind, she wondered if it was just her finding it difficult to sleep or maybe he was having a sound sleep after a long day. Marriage, nobody should marry for the wrong reasons, not even this is a strong enough reason but they had a reputation to protect, their families, the church and the fact that more than half of the people thought it was not a mistake but a preplanned act to end up married since they have been quite close. Well she did not care about what they thought but she knew this was going to be a very boring marriage.
Michael dashed into her room and went to her, her hands on her head and she panted heavily.
“Rachael are you okay?” He shook her shoulders pulling her in for an embrace. He patted her back softly and suddenly she pushed him and he almost lost his balance.
“What are you trying to do to me, why are you in my room?” She said shifting to the other end of the room where he can’t reach her.
Michael looked at her like a moron, he was dump folded. He rubbed his face and place his other hand at akimbo as he thought of the best reply to give her.
“Rachael I would not be here if you did not scream, for Christ sake what do you think the neighbors will think? They will think I have started to maltreat my wife on our wedding night. I ran over and comforted you and this is all I get huh!” He paced trying to calm himself.
Rachael’s attention was drawn to his bare chest, Michael must have taken to gyming because he was really well built and those arms had comforted her a while ago but she did not know she screamed out, she was screaming in her mind and so she felt startled to realized he was holding her for real looking gorgeous in his briefs.
Michael was confused, he was mad at her and all she did was gawk at him like he was a piece of art.
“Look all you want okay, it’s yours now but guess what, you will have to beg me before I dare hold you again, I can’t stand another outright rejection from you. When we have guests please play along and when they are gone, you should know the way to your room.” He said and turned away.
“Michael come back here.” She commanded but he was gone.
“Rachael when did you become so stupid huh!” She said hitting her head and pulling the sheets angrily.
She tried to sleep and after a while she was exhausted and drifted off to sleep only for him to come and knock on her door.
“Woman wake up, we will be late for church.” He knocked but when she did not answer, he was forced to open the door.
She was curled up with a pillow, he went and took a close look at her, if she was gawking at him, it would not be a crime to look too after all they were married. He felt jealous of the pillow, how could she be holding a pillow when he was readily available. Wedding night indeed. He did not like the fact that he would have to wake her up, he knew she slept late but so did he, well she is pregnant, that’s why she is in his house in the first place.
“Rachael wake up.” He said tapping her, she groaned and refused to answer.
“I said wake up now.”
“Mummy please give me five minute.” She said and continued her sleep.
“Why do I think this is an invitation from you to have me carry you out of bed into the bathroom for a couple bath, I guess that will be romantic right?” He asked with sarcasm in his voice.
“Couple bath? What!” Rachael sat up and pulled the covers to her chest.
“Oh! So you are awake. You have less than thirty minutes to get ready for church, we should not start going late now should we?” He asked pinning his eyes on her.
“Fine, can you please excuse me, I will need my privacy to get ready.”  She stuttered.
“Oh really, privacy huh! I wonder when married couple starts having privacy. Is this even a marriage, sure they say it is. Well I will surely want to have a feel of my baby, the baby I had to pay dearly for.” He said smirking his lips and walking towards her.
“What! Where are you going to? You said you won’t touch me remember, you promised and there is church to think about, I need to get ready if you can just excuse me please?” She begged not because she did not want him but because she did not trust herself. She knew Michael did not love her like he used to and whatever happens between them will just be mere release of hormonal excesses, she wanted love not just sex but everything is still messed up, she hope it does not come to a point where he will want to force her, she was not psychologically ready, she would not allow anything to break her resolve. His simple touch has that effect on her so she will not let him.
“Rachael I will see how long it will take you to keep rejecting me to my face, I thought Leah was a wrong choice but you are not any better. Now you have about thirty minutes, remember we are supposed to appear in uniform like normal couples a day after their wedding.  I believe you know what to wear as planned.” He said and walked away leaving her dumb folded.
Rachael wish there was a way to escape immediately after the service but there really was no way out with people crowding her and giving their congratulations. Well some were just curious and she will not give anybody to pleasure of laughing at her, she was about to make her way out when Elder Mofe’s wife cornered her.
“Iyawo titun, how are you my dear, sure your wedding night was awesome, you must be very tired because your eyes are puffy but see how your husband is looking bright ehn, it’s the men’s world, they get to enjoy while the women suffer the pain, it will be fine soon okay? I wonder why my daughter in-law is yet to conceive ehn…I…”
“Hey baby, I have been looking all over for you. Good afternoon mummy, I need to have a word with my wife if you don’t mind.” Michael said whisking his wife away, waving other church members and taking her straight to the car.
Rachael allowed him because she would have passed out if she stood there an extra minute. That woman was a busy body, how could she ever talk about Esther that way, her friend must be going through hell. It’s unfortunate that they can’t swap places.
“Are you okay? You looked like you needed some air and well I know how that woman can be so I came to save you, hope I won’t be criticized for doing that?” He said putting on his seat belt on though his eyes were on her.
“Hmm! Thanks for coming to save me just like you used to.”
“Finally I get a compliment, I think we are getting somewhere.” He said.
“Hey! What do you mean, I am not that…well you just keep getting under my skin and making sarcastic comments and you expect me to just sit back and watch?”
“Are we having an argument again?” He asked.
“No we are just talking, I am really hungry can we just go to your house?” She said knowing that might spark another reaction.
“Why can’t you make it super simple and ask if we can just go home? It’s your house too you know?” 
“Okay, Whatever?” She said turning outside as he put on the ignition.
“Sure that’s what I get for being nice. Well if this is how you want it, let’s do it.” He said and pressed the clutch angrily raising dust.
“Michael are you mad? What if I had hit my head on the dash board.” She asked breathing heavily.
“Oh! Sure I am very mad, well I’d rather you hit your head than your stomach, nothing must happen to that baby since that’s the reason my life is in a mess now.”  He said not looking her way. She was too shocked to utter a word.
“So you care about the baby not me, do you think you are the only one that has lost huh?”
“Well what do I do when you make it so difficult to be cared for, so let me care about the baby. I just hope to God he is a boy.” He said with no apologies.
“Michael I hate you.”
“News flash, so do I?” He said and it hit her like an arrow. She did not really mean it, it was just the normal I hate you kind of talk but then the look in his eyes tells her he really meant the hatred thing, tears blurred her view, she swallowed the lump in her throat and gritted her teeth. Her eyes had the mind of their own, though she did not want to look weak, the tears rolled and she quickly dabbed her eyes with her handkerchief while she sniffed. She said nothing more, she was just wondering what will happen from now on. It’s just Day two and already, it feels like hell.

LESSON
Don’t marry for the wrong reasons.
In a relationship, one person has to step down for the other, there can’t be two captains in a ship.

Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment