Thursday 9 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 7

EPISODE 7
Leah got a disturbing call from home, Kunle was at it again. She thought she could run away from her horrible past but then it seems she might be in a very deep mess now.
“Leah! You have to come home and settle whatever you have with Kunle. He is still as mad as he was the first time he heard you were engaged to someone else over there. I still don’t know why you ran away like that, you have nothing to fear, just come back home please.”
“Mummy, I said I will be back but a lot is happening here and my job is demanding and for that stupid Kunle, pay him no attention, he has no right to say anything to you not after what he did to me. I can’t stand to look at him. I don’t want to see him, he should forget about me because I am never coming back  to him.” She said angrily, hot tears ran down her cheek as she remembered the pains of having to go through pains and hiding it as best as she could. She still has not been bold enough to tell Michael about it. She was not ready to lose a good man, he was her last hope.
“You keep saying that?” Her mother’s voice came through and she remembered that she was still on the line.
“What!”
“You are not even paying attention, you keep talking about what Kunle did but he is a good man, you both were happy together and you just disappeared ehn? The boy was really heart broken, he cried and cried and…”
“Mu…mmy! I beg you to stop or I will get off this call. Kunle is not who he pretends to be, he is not at all.” She said and burst out crying.
You are not who you claim to be either. A voice in her head accused and that made her cry more, she didn’t know when and how she allowed her life get ruined. She was ashamed of herself, she was scared of how she will be treated like an outcast and a sinner and relegated to the back seat in church, she was scared of losing the respect people had for her and yes! She had a perfect cover but then her life is totally ruined.
“Leah! What has come over you for heaven’s sake. Why don’t you just tell your mother what it really is huh!” Her mum asked really worried.
“Mummy I can’t, I just can’t. I will call you later.” She said and ended the call as she broke down in greater sobs.
Everything just was not right, she has been feeling really sick lately and today was not better, she had called in sick and she was glad she did, she dragged herself into the room, climbed the bed and covered herself up. She was scared to go to the doctor, what if they run the test and her secrets are uncovered. She feared it was not just fever like she thought but she would watch it for a while.
Her phone rang again and out of annoyance she answered quite rudely.
“Mummy please I said I can’t tell you anything now, I will call you back please.” She was about to go off when Michael’s voice rang in her ears. She sat up immediately.
“Jesus! Michael I am sorry, I did not know you were the one.”
“So what is it you are refusing to tell your mum, at least you can tell me right?”
“What! Never, I can’t…can we not talk about this please?” She said with her heart in her mouth, she could hear her heart beating loudly. He had no idea what he was asking, she regretted not checking to see the caller’s ID before she spoke and now she almost sold herself.
“Leah what’s wrong, I was not serious about knowing the first time but now I am really curious, we are not supposed to hide anything from each other and you should not be keeping secrets, a problem shared is half solved you know?” He said with concern.
“Michael please I beg you to forget about this, my head aches and I really don’t have energy to talk.” She said.
“Now these headaches are becoming too frequent, I think you should see the doctor, I could come over so we can go together and then you can have a proper check up and run some tests huh!”
“What! Tests? Oh! No!!! please, I will be fine I promise, thanks for the offer, you know I hate the smell of hospitals. I will just rest and I know I will be fine okay? Thanks my love.”
“Hmm! If you insist. Is there something else you want to tell me?” He asked hoping she will even remember that it was his birthday.
“Me? No, nothing o. All is fine, I just need to rest that’s all.”
“So you don’t remember what today is?” He pressed giving more clues.
“Well Michael dear, I know you know what the date is. I really need to sleep now but then today’s date is 18th November. Now you know.”
“And it does not ring a bell?”
“Lord almighty, no it does not  and I really can’t think about anything now, you know I hated history when I was in school, I don’t keep dates well.” She said non-chalantly and Michael had to gather all the self-control he had not to lose his temper knowing she was ill.
“Leah today is my birthday, I felt you were busy and will call soon, everybody else remembers except my own woman, do I mean less to you?” He asked in a low but firm tone.
“Oh Lord. I am so sorry , I forgot now, I had a lot on my mind.”
“And it definitely does not include me right?”
“I said I was sorry, I will make it up to you please. I will come over later in the day I promise. Happy birthday baby, can I sleep now please, I can’t bear the pain in this head again.”
“Leah…”He wanted to say more but he knew he would regret whatever comes out from his mouth now. He mumbled a weak bye and disconnected the call.
He felt so cheap and hurt, how could she dismiss him like that? She was not even sorry, she… “Haaa!” he growled angrily and hit his fist on the table.
“Lord help me!” He murmured under his breath when his phone rang. He would give her a piece of his mind and damn the consequences.

“Leah I really am not in the right frame of mind to talk to you, how could you forget my birthday, don’t I mean anything to you at all, I don’t understand you any more, maybe when the Leah I fell in love with resurface, you can call me back.” He barked into the phone when he heard a softer voice.
“Michael it’s Rachael.”

QUESTION
Does it make any sense to keep running away from the past when you know it will keep hunting you?

Lesson.
Holding on to many secrets makes the heart sick,  problem shared is indeed half solved.

He that covers his sins shall not prosper (King Solomon said so)

Stay tuned for the next episode
Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment