Saturday 4 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 3


Episode 3
Rachael was curled up on her bed humming a song when her phone rang, she wondered who it could be and since she sent several applications out for jobs, she’s been believing God to do a miracle so every call made her feel on edge, yeah she has been busy recording one of her songs in the studio. Michael had encouraged her to take a step though she always thought she was not ready but thinking about it now, she realized that one will wait for life waiting for the perfect timing. God speaks to us using the voice of men too and well her parent too encouraged her.
She had always wished she had another sibling but her mum was unable to conceive after she had her, she had several miscarriages and was told she might get hurt if she took in again. Now she was all grown up and has given up hope of getting a younger sibling but she had friends though not so many, Michael had been and still is one even if she has been trying to withdraw a bit since his girlfriend does not seem so pleased whenever they are together. Leah acts like it’s okay, but it’s obvious even to the blind that it’s not.
“Rachael, what is this I am hearing about your Michael proposing or dating Leah, is she not the same one that joined the church about five months ago?” Her mum had asked sometime ago.
“Yes mummy, they are compatible right, Michael is madly in love with her.” She answered innocently.
“So what are you going to do about it?” Her mum asked.
‘Do? Well I am going to love her as my friend’s wife to be, actually we are getting along quite well.” Rachael said.
“Oh! I see.” Was all her mum said and she has not stopped wondering what was expected of her. She loves Michael so much, he was the big brother she never had plus he was her friend too and so she was happy he finally found someone after so long, he finally picked one and well in less than a year, after his pastoral school and ordination, they must have been through with counseling here in church and he would be a husband. That was a very funny thought and she could not wait to watch him become a father since he loves kids a lot. But hopefully, she would have found a man that makes her feel loved, she knew she is loved but lately, she too wants to be special to one man but who? It has crossed her mind a couple of times that she and Michael could be a couple but when he finally told her about Leah, she laughed at her own foolishness. He will always see her as the younger sister or just a friend. Her phone rang again and brought her out of her reverie, she checked for the caller ID and it turned out to be Michael, she made a mental check to see if they were supposed to see today.
“Since when did I start following a time table to see and talk to my friend?” She asked out loud not realizing she had touched the green button.
“Hello, Rachael are you there?” His voice reached her ears and she looked down on her phone in horror.
“I hope you did not hear that?” She asked feeling embarrassed.
“Well I did and hey! You know there are no time tables but you made it so, I don’t know if it’s me but I think you are avoiding me and I don’t like it.” He complained.
Rachael sighed deeply. She was trying to do the right thing but the longer it gets the tougher it is and Leah is not making things easier, she has been acting weird lately and she wondered if something went wrong but when she talked about it to Michael he seemed irritable and avoided the subject altogether.
“So tell me, what was it that you did that made Michael like you this much, I believe you know him a bit better than I do and since I will be getting married to him soon, I was hoping you could give me some tips.” Those were some of the things Leah had said to her on that thanksgiving Sunday.  It’s about five weeks now but she has been avoiding any private talks with the woman.

Michael, you are engaged and so you are not supposed to be close to another female, well not as close as we were, things changed you know, I believe it will be good to keep things as they are okay?” She said with difficulty, she misses her friend but saying it out will be sending the wrong message.
“Rachael I don’t want to hear a word about that woman for now, I feel like I am losing all my friends because of her, things are not going like I thought. If you think you are the only one affected, call Luke, he also is avoiding me just because of her, he is now claiming he does not want trouble.”
“Hey please calm down, don’t go and say what you don’t mean. That woman loves you and she ensures the whole world knows. Please settle your differences and focus on the future you plan to build together.”
‘Are you listening at all? I really don’t want to talk about her today. I did not say we broke up, we had a slight misunderstanding, actually that happens too frequently and I am just tired and frustrated, I need to talk to someone, I have missed talking to you and right now I am bored, so bored, Luke said he was busy and so you are the only one else left to be called.” He explained.
“Okay?”
“Well I was thinking I should come over or you come over, anyone you prefer.” He said calmly.
“hmm! Hope your fridge is full, I will enjoy finishing everything today.” She said trying to lighten him up and he chuckled.
“Well let’s see how much you can take into that pencil stomach of yours. And hey! Say hello to mummy for me, tell her I miss her.” He said.
“You will have to tell her that yourself, now let me get prepared and you know there is choir rehearsals today, maybe you will drop me off in church.”
“No problem, just start coming now please?”
“Okay, I will be on my way soon.” She said clicked the red button and stepped out of her bed and entered the bathroom to shower.
***
She selected a simple floral gown from her wardrobe with a pair of sandals that fitted the dress. She took a last look on herself in the mirror and smacked her lips together to adjust her lip gloss.
“Mum! I will back soon, I am going to see Michael he did not sound so good when he called earlier and since I am bored, let me check on him and if I succeed in dragging him out, we would go to church later for my choir rehearsal.” She explained to her mum who was lying down on the cushion in the sitting room watching 700 Club on TBN.
Her mum sat up right and adjusted her blouse. “You said you are going to see Michael right? How long will he continue to cling to you, I don’t want you to get hurt. He is engaged and I want you to find a decent man to love and care for you, if not for the way things went that boy would have made a fine son in-law, we thought you both would get more serious but I guess the Lord has other plans.” She said soberly.
“MUMMY!” She stressed. “We have discussed this before and I told you all is well, I think I and Michael are better off as friends and I too have been giving him space but he seem not to like it, he thinks I am angry with him or something.” She explained but her mum was not convinced.
“You see, he wants you around and you are bent on proving to him that all is well between you both, I am not saying you should stop talking to him but baby, you are my only child and I don’t want any man using you as a back up plan.”
“Mum please stop, I am not his back up plan, he will marry Leah and we will still be friends but of course we can’t be as close as we used to be, I will miss that but I believe I too will meet a man. So let Leah have him please.” She said and swallowed the bile in her throat. It did not feel right saying those words out.
Her mother stood up from the chair, walked towards her and led her to seat down. Her mum was a very understanding woman, she had worked in the youth church for so long and she understands and detects things you would want her not to see, though it was not always convenient but she felt free to talk to her mum unlike some other ladies her age.
“Rachael talk to me, I know it’s not been easy but I am here for you. I know and see it in your eyes that you love him though you did not plan it that way, you are such a sweet girl with a clean heart and you are also a loyal friend. You are stronger than I gave you credit for but I don’t know how long you can go handling these feelings. I have no problem with him being with Leah but there is something about that lady. Maybe it’s me but I hope Michael made the right choice.” The woman said meditatively.
Rachael’s resolve melted and her brows furrowed with worry. She felt weak and leaned back on the sofa.
“Mummy I have been feeling like a terrible person for having such feelings for him, I tried to get close to Leah so the reality of it can sink in, I tried to ignore him and relate on a safe distance but the feeling is still there, he has no idea how I feel and he never will. I did not know I loved him till he told me he wanted to ask Leah out, I gave him the go ahead like a friend should and pretended that all was well but I know I can handle it, I want him to be happy and since Leah is his choice even when I was close by then it must not be God’s will for him to be with her not me and I accept it that way.” She said dabbing her eyes with her handkerchief.
“God will reward your loyalty and give you the best man for you. I am proud to have you as my daughter. Keep making me proud.”
“Thank you mummy.” She said and gave her mum a hug when her phone started ringing. She knew who it was and did not bother checking.
“Mum, I will see you later in the evening. Love you.” She said and hurried out of the house before she answered the call with her mum’s word ringing in her ears “BACK UP PLAN! Is that all I am to him now?”
Question of the day?
Is it alright to indirectly chase away your partner’s friends because you want them for yourself alone, third parties are risky in a relationship but where and how do we draw the line?
Do you think Michael is really using her as a back-up plan? Let’s discuss that too
This episode is longer so expect the next episode on Monday, Keep checking us out. God bless you.
Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment