Wednesday 15 February 2017

IMPERFECT ME 13

EPISODE 13

Rachael could not believe this was really happening to her, all her plans to have a grand white wedding went down the drain, they were just going to come pay her bride price, have the pastor pray over them, entertain the few people and hold a small reception for those that cared to come and then she will be Mrs. Michael Tade. What a shame.

It was obvious she was the only one still seeing how insane the whole thing is, Esther had been lovely, she was gracefully married now but Esther felt responsible for what happened seeing that she insisted she stayed back to help and so did Luke, so they stood by them even when others were being judgmental.
She knew who her real friends were, it appeared that a lot of people related with her when the spotlight was on her. Now she was just part of the statistics.

Michael had just been cool, acting as if he has everything under control but she knew he was hurting as much as she was. His mum who was not a stranger to her at least when she was his friend had started calling more frequently, calling her my wife, my daughter, asking after the baby. She felt frustrated but she could not vent the anger on the poor woman.
“Rachael come out of that room now, you have to come and eat and your father said you should not let him come and get you himself.” Her mum said on top of her voice.
“Mum you didn’t need to shout, I am not hungry yet.” She answered. She locked the door on herself, she felt really depressed and wanted to be left alone but obviously not. It appears that her parent seem to be looking forward to having the baby, she could not blame them for it. They know what they went through to have her and they did not mind the shame of having a child from her in such a disgraceful manner.
“Rachael open the door this minute and come and eat. If you don’t care about yourself, at least think about my baby, he needs to be healthy.” Michael’s voice called out.
“What! Why are you in my house and how dare you call my baby yours and who told you she is a he?” She answered.
“Rachael we are not having a couple fight are we?” He asked and she yanked the door open which was what he expected. What he did not expect was how messed up she looked, swollen eyes which was still red from crying, disheveled hair and all this with her in a pajamas.
“Michael, you sure know what to do to get her to open the door. You guys fit each other.” Her mum said pulling her along like you would a five year old.
“Michael how dare you… you should start respecting him now, he will be your husband in less than a week. I don’t use that tone on your father do I?” Her mum scolded.
“He is not my husband.”
“Yet.” Michael added with amusement. Since his life is messed up, he decided to have as much fun as he can with the madness happening. He will not let her frustrate him. If he gets tired, he will find a hiding place and come back later.
Rachael was too embarrassed to admit she was hungry, she actually did not know she was until the saw the sight on the dining table. Her stomach growled and everybody laughed. 
“I guess I won’t have to beg you to eat now do I ?” Her father asked.
“Daddy I was just fine in my room.” She argued.
“Well you can go back if you want.” He answered trying not to laugh when she pouted her lips like a child. He would miss her so much but they have to do this and move on.
“I…well I just don’t…Here sit down.” Michael said and pulled out a chair for the stuttering woman.
She looked at him as If she was surprised, well he used to be a gentle man but that seem like decades ago, she seem not to have a memory of their good old days and she does not want to remember. She was going to hold on to this anger.
“Don’t start acting all nice because they are here, what if I don’t want to sit?” She asked with her hand on her waist.
“Is it the pregnancy or you trying to be the child I didn’t raise you to be. You shame me. I have warned you to stop talking to him that way, didn’t I ?” Her mother asked.
“Now sit down and eat, you are obviously hungry and I made more than enough. Can I have peace in my house please, I am tired of all these drama okay? Rachael I am tired, you are not a kid anymore, you are an adult and I will treat you as one. You have a responsibility to this child and I will not tolerate this nonsense anymore. If you think your stable life with us was by chance, go and try that when you get to your husband’s house. I am the home maker here so you go by my rules understand?” Her mum said.
Rachael knew she had pushed it to the limit. Tears shimmered down her eyes as she looked at her mum that was panting as if she ran a marathon. Her father and Michael just stood quietly watching the scene.

“Mummy please we are sorry, if I didn’t give in to the weakness of the moment things would have gone differently.” Michael said when he found his tongue.
“Enough of the guilt trip son, going back to the past has done no one good, we should think of how to move forward.” Her father said.
Rachael wiped her tears with the back of her hand and sniffed as the tears flowed easily.

Her mum felt weak and pulled out a chair to sit beside her. “Baby I am sorry I shouted at you. Everything is happening so fast and you have not really been cooperative. Please my dear can you make this easy for all of us. I know God knows best, we don’t know what tomorrow holds but this is not the end of life. Can you please stop crying and eat your food. I worry about you. Please my dear.”
Her mother wiped her face with her palm like she had done countless times when she was a little girl.
“Mummy I am sorry too, I don’t know why I feel so depressed these days, I know it’s hard but I appreciate all you and dad have done for me, I am sorry I didn’t turn out to make you proud.” She said and crumbled in her mother’s arms.
When the crying spree was over, they settled and ate in silence. After the meal she helped in packing the plates to the kitchen and Michael asked her mum to leave it to them. When the woman was out, Rachael dropped the plate in the sink and leaned on it.
“Are you okay?” He asked but didn’t touch her though he was watching to catch her in case she wants to faint on him.
“You know I have an issue with both of us standing alone in the kitchen, actually alone anywhere. I don’t want to end up pregnant.” She said still not facing him.
“Well you can’t be more pregnant than you are now plus I have no intention of doing anything to you. Once was enough. Can we just wash the dishes and get out. If you are tired just sit down and I will finish it.”
“Seriously? I would gladly take you on that offer but then mum will not be happy about it. I will appreciate that help when I become your…”She stopped in mid-sentence when she realized what she was about to say. Her eyes met his and she could see the amusement in his eyes.
“When you become my wife you meant to say right? Rachael I can’t say we love each other now but there should not be hatred between us. I am trying to keep calm and go along with the plan, please let’s be civil about this thing. I didn’t know you to be this difficult.” He said with a hint of frustration in his voice.
“Can we just clean this place and get out of the kitchen, I am feeling very uncomfortable.” She said picking a dirty dish and scrubbing it.
“Now I know how much you detest me. I…I never mind.” He said. Rachael wanted to say that was not what she meant but it sure sounded like it and it was too late to redeem herself.
They worked in silence and she noticed he took the pain to avoid touching her not even by mistake. She did not know why something sank in the pit of her stomach at the thought of it. She knew she would be the one to suffer most especially with the aches on her back and legs.
“Michael I am sor…no please save it. I understand, I am making arrangement to make the house conducive for you, I will not be in your way. You will have sufficient time to be alone because I won’t bother you. I actually came to ask you to tell me whatever you want to change in the house or whatever you need just let me know. I hope you still have my number?” He asked and started to walk out of the kitchen then he turned.
“You should consider making your hair, you really don’t  look good with that on your head.”
“Since when has my hair been your concern?”
“Since I was your friend if memory serves you well and since you will be my wife soon, I need you to look good if not for yourself, for me. I thought you were stronger than this. You should try and pull yourself together, my mum will be coming in two days and I will not want you giving her the wrong impressions so behave.”
“Michael why does everything have to be about you huh?” She started to rant but he was already gone.
“Rachael, this is not going help issues.” Her mum said entering the kitchen.
“Mum he is just so selfish.” She complained.
“You are just being unreasonable. You know I keep wondering how you loved him so much at a point but now it seems like you can’t stand him not even as a friend. Rachael watch it so you don’t suffer. That guy is a gentle man, don’t push him because if you do, you would suffer it more.”

QUESTION
Is it possible to love so much to the point of hate? Or rather can you love and detest a person at the same time?

LESSON
Unforgiveness is like cancer that eats up the individual till there is nothing but chaff left. Let Go and Let God!


Radiant Pheobe © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment