Wednesday 1 March 2017

IMPERFECT ME 22

Episode 22

Rachael had woken up as early as four to start her house chores on Monday morning to get everything ready so she can be set to leave immediately her husband leaves but the guy seem to be stalling.
“I noticed you woke up quite early today, I know you wake up early but you were up earlier than usual, is there something I should know that you are not…”
“No!!! There is nothing, I just could not sleep so I … I decided to come and you know., em start my work on time.” She stuttered.
“I know when you are lying, I wonder why you still bother to lie to me but whatever it is just don’t get yourself so stressed up, you can ask for my help just in case you need it.”
“Sure I will. Thanks.” She said and excused herself.”
Michael felt something was off about her, he noticed she had done her hair and the fact that she was looking extremely beautiful bothered him, since she was ignoring him, who else would she have taken extra effort to look good for. He did not have valid evidences so he could not accuse her falsely at least not now that he is trying to get on her good page.
He remembered the shock on her face when he hugged her yesterday; he was in a very happy mood. He had been promoted and needed his wife to congratulate him. He did not want a cold response so he took his congratulatory hug without her permission. He had celebrated with his colleagues at the office and well she made him a sumptuous dinner so everything felt great in his mind but he knew she was up to something and it was bugging him that she would not open up to him about it. He will surely find out what that is, sooner not later.
Rachael waited for him to go, she rushed into her room and changed. She applied a light make-up and looked herself over in the mirror, she smiled at the beautiful woman she was seeing though her husband seem not to have noticed her new look and she did not care. Well she did care, he should have asked or said something at least. She thought angrily.
She waved a taxi down and quickly got in, she was checking her wristwatch and finally they got there. She paid the man and rushed into the building, she was running late but gratefully it was not her turn she met few other people and she discovered that the interview had been going on since last week, they were the last set of people called and so the chances of getting the job was so slim except you have someone on the inside as it is with all Nigerian parastatals.
She dialed her mother’s number to inform her about it and for her to pray for her.
“Is your husband aware of this thing you are up to?” Her mum asked and she was speechless.
“Mummy please let’s talk about that later, I can’t talk here please. He will be fine with it trust me.”
“Rachael!!!”
“Mummy, I’ve got to go now please. Love ya.” She said and ended the call.
“Rachael Michael Tade, are you  here?” the secretary asked.
“Yes-Yes please, I am here.” She said and quickly gathered herself as she walked with her head held high though her heart was pounding loudly in her ears.
She saluted the five man committee of interviewer and sat down when one of them asked her to sit.
“So you think you are the best person for this job huh?”
“Absolutely sir.” She replied confidently though she hid her doubts well.
She watched the chairman whisper something into the other people’s ear, she had come prepared for them, she had talked for about ten minutes answering their questions and she saw the approval in their eyes she only prays that that will be good enough to get her the appointment letter.
“So Madam, how much would you like to be paid?” the chairman asked.
“I beg your pardon sir.” She said confused.
“Well congratulations, you just got the job.” One of them said stretching his hand for a handshake.
“What! Really, I…I, I thought you….how can I be….sir….I guess we just made a stammerer out of her.” One of them said to lighten up the mood and the others laughed.
“Training commences next week Monday, you can meet the secretary to give you some forms to fill which should be submitted latest on Friday.”
“Wow! Thank you so much, I can’t believe this is happening. Thank you sirs.”
“I hope you will not make us regret our decision?”
“What! No!!! Sir I won’t. Thank you very much.” She said dabbing the tears with the tip of her fingers.
“You can go now. Please ask the next person to be called in.” She bowed and took her leave happily. She could not believe it was happening, how in the world.
“Mummy I got the job, am coming home now.” She said shouting in the taxi and the cab man congratulated her.
After the congratulations has been said, she ate to her fill and decided to relax and fantasize about her new job.
“So have you told your husband about it?” Her mum asked.
“Mummy please let’s not spoil the mood.”
“Rachael I really don’t understand you anymore, what has he done to you this time huh?” Her mum asked enraged.
“Mummy he has done nothing wrong but I was afraid he won’t want me getting a job now but I can’t just stay home doing nothing, I am bored, I need to get a life, I need to feel useful and not even him can stop me.”
“Pride goes before a fall Rachael, I did not raise you this way, whatever demon that has possessed my daughter should leave her be please. Rachael you need to go home and start building your home. I will not be a party to this arrogance of yours.”
“Mummy I hear you, I need to start going now it’s getting late and I don’t want him getting worried for nothing.”
“What has gotten into you? Rachael I think your father has to talk some sense into you.”
“Mummy I am okay, please don’t disturb him, I am no more a kid, I am a married woman for God sake.”
“Oh really? You are not acting like one, you act like you own yourself, how can a woman with a husband go looking for a job and even went all the way to get the job without first consulting with her husband. I thought you said you both are doing well, now I see that you are the problem not him.” Her mum said angrily.
“But mummy, I am not to be blamed, remember I was forced into this marriage.”  
“Will you shut your mouth there?” Her father’s baritone voice scolded from behind and she shook in fear.
“Daddy? I did not know you were in.” She said meekly.
“Rachael I am really disappointed in you. How dare you say such a thing to your mother’s face huh? Whose fault was it that you got pregnant huh? I believed you had chosen your groom since both of you were in a hurry, I hastened it up and now it turns out that you both are still foolish, how is that my fault. Congratulations on your new job, now get out of my house and go and build your home. I don’t want to see you here next time without you coming with your husband walking arm in arm. Have I made myself clear?”
“…Yes daddy.” She said sniffing and wiping the tears off her face.
“Good, now make sure you greet your husband for me. You better work on yourself, I believe your mother and I trained you better than this.” He said sitting down.
“It’s getting late, you should start going.” Her mum said in a low tone.
“Yes ma, good night.” She packed her stuff slowly and walked to the door, all the excitement was gone. Tears were all she had left. She knew they were right but she did not know how or when to start undoing what she has done. She does it perfectly in her mind but in reality, it’s not so easy.
She was so lost in thought that the cab man almost past their house but she noticed just in time. She was way too late and she was not even in the mood to apologize, she was just angry, at herself, at him, at everything happening. Her life should be better than this but then it seems to be getting worse. Their son was dead, she was still hurting from that. She felt cheated, she felt trapped, she wanted out but she was stuck for life. Divorce is not even an option, her father had also rejected her, well unless she reconciles with her husband and there is no way they can pretend to her father.
She opened the door and saw Michael looking disturbed and she knew why but instead of apologizing, she just greeted and walked past.
“Good evening? Is that all you have to say to me?”
“Michael please I don’t have energy to argue this night.” She said turning to continue her journey.
“Rachael stop there.” He said in a firm voice that brought her to an abrupt stop.
“Where are you coming from? I had been home for almost two hours and did not see you, I had to call your dad and he told me you were at home, Rachael I was worried sick, I searched everywhere for you and then you switched off your phone.”
“The battery is dead.” She said in defense.
“Rachael, I don’t ever want to feel like this again, ever. I am not stopping you from going anywhere but you are my wife and you should respect my feelings and be able to tell me where you want to go and let me know if you will be home early or not.”
“Why are you getting so worked up, I need to rest please.”
“Rachael are you okay? I am talking to you and you are walking out on me. What has gotten into you and hey! Why are you dressed so corporately when you don’t even go to any office, is there something you are not telling me?”
“Well yes, there is a lot I have not told you, I got a job today, I have been sending out my CV’s and now after an interview, I was favored. Michael I can’t continue to sit in your house and getting fat, I am bored, I feel useless staying home all day, I thought I would have a baby to keep me busy like you predicted…She eyed him with tears in her eyes, it turns out that I will wait for a lifetime for that to happen.”
“We could make another baby now don’t you think? I believe I am very fertile.” He replied angrily.
“You will not lay a finger on me. Michael I have a job to go tomorrow, don’t think about stopping me because I won’t be stopped. Good night.” She said and ran off to her room leaving him dumb folded.
Lesson
It is better to be optimistic than to live a paranoid life.
Happy new month dear readers. As a special bonus for those who have been following, this seems to be the longest episode that has been published. It seems like the drama will not end or like the marriage will not work, Trust me, you don’t know the half of it. After this part is where the fun begins. Book is available for the first set buyers, like I said before, this is just for those interested in knowing what happens next. It might not be this cheap when the main production is done. Contact me now for your copy on 07032725371.
Radiant Pheobe always delivers. Thanks for visiting, keep coming back.
Radiant Pheobe © 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment